HOW TO FILE A COMPLAINT
Charter School Complaint Notice and Form
Instructions for Charter Schools: Add your charter school authorizer information to the form before sharing with parents and posting to your website by completing the five blank fields on the following page under the section titled Complaint Procedures. The completed section will look similar to this:
Name of Charter School Authorizer
City, State, and Zip Code
If you have questions about completing this form, please contact the Charter Schools Division by phone at 916-322-6029 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Parents:
Please review the information on the Charter School Complaint Notice web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ sp/ch/cscomplaint.asp for information on how to obtain the correct form from your charter school.
Charter School Complaint Notice
California Education Code Requirements
California Education Code (EC) Section 47605(d)(4) (https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/ codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=47605&lawCode=EDC) states the following:
- A charter school shall not discourage a pupil from enrolling or seeking to enroll in a charter school for any reason, including, but not limited to, academic performance of the pupil or because the pupil exhibits any of the following characteristics:
- Academically low-achieving
- Economically disadvantaged (determined by eligibility for any free or reduced price meal program)
- English learner
- Foster youth
- Neglected or delinquent
- Sexual orientation
- Pupils with disabilities
- A charter school shall not request a pupil’s records or require the parent, guardian, or pupil to submit the pupil’s records to the charter school before enrollment.
- A charter school shall not encourage a pupil currently attending the charter school to disenroll from the charter school or transfer to another school for any reason (except for suspension or expulsion).
- This notice shall be posted on a charter school’s Internet website and a charter school will provide copies of this notice (1) when a parent, guardian, or pupil inquires about enrollment; (2) before conducting an enrollment lottery, and (3) before disenrollment of a pupil. Complaint Procedures In order to submit a complaint, complete the Charter School Complaint Form and submit the form to the charter school authorizer, electronically or in hard copy, to the following location: